Police in Hampshire are urging residents in Winchester to secure their bikes and review their garage security after a spike in bike theft. Warnings were issued following incidents where burglars broke into garages where bikes were being stored.
This highlights the importance of adequate garage security, as often the garage is used to store a range of power tools, expensive sports equipment and various other valuables which are highly sought after by burglars. Whether your garage is attached to your property or separated from your house, the contents could be at risk if the garage is not secured.
How to increase the security of your garage:
- Installing motion-triggered security lights will make sure any activity around your garage will be detected.
- A heavy duty garage door lock would deter opportunistic burglars as they aim to complete a job in minimal time without being noticed.
- The installation of a garage defender disables the use of the garage door and also creates an obstruction for the burglar.
- Consider extending the home security alarm to the garage in order to protect your contents.
- If your garage contains high-value items, it is worth securing the contents internally using ground and wall anchors; these will prevent burglars simply carrying your items away if they do manage to break in, and will usually require a fair amount of effort to remove without being noticed.
For further tips on securing your garage check out our blog regarding garage security, it includes some great advice on how to increase the security of your garage and help protect the contents with ease.
If you are in the Winchester area and would like additional security measures added to your garage, call your local Winchester Locksmith today on 01962677099 or visit Keytek® Winchester to book an appointment!