Witches, ghosts, aliens and vampires! They’re not the only thing you should be wary about on October 31st! Halloween can be frightening for all the wrong reasons so make sure you’re not tricked into treating, take a look at our top tips below so that you and the children have a safe spooktacular time!
- Make sure the costumes are correctly sized to avoid tripping.
- Choose lighter coloured costumes or add reflective tape to make the costume more visible in the dark. Bring a torch or get some glow sticks to add even more visibility.
- Masks can restrict your child’s view; perhaps try opting for face paint instead so they can see clearly.
- Check the weather, wrap up warm and bring an umbrella to avoid coming down with a cold.
Trick or Treating
- Ensure your children stick to the pavement, cross at dedicated crossings and never step out into the road from parked cars.
- Trick or treat in safe and well-known areas.
- Young children should always be accompanied when out trick or treating.
Traditionally a house was open to trick or treaters if they had a pumpkin outside, with those wishing not to partake in this often posting a sign in their window or on their door.
If you wish to take part this Halloween, you can download a welcome trick or treat sign here!
If you don’t wish to participate head over to the Neighbourhood Watch website to download their sticker!
- It’s best to avoid allowing your child to eat homemade treats as you do not know the full ingredients.
- Check over each of the sweets for anomalies, unfortunately there have been cases in the past where parents have found needles embedded into sweets that they have gathered from trick or treating.
- Use battery powered candles instead of having an open flame to minimise the risk.
- Always supervise children when pumpkin carving.
- Don’t put any decorations on stairs to avoid the risk of tripping.
Don’t forget to lock up and close your windows before you head off for a night of scaring! If you do unfortunately lose your keys give and get locked out, give us a call and we will get you back inside faster than you can say abracadabra!