As the nights draw darker and colder, it is important to re-evaluate the security of your home and take the necessary measures in improving your home security to ensure your home isn’t an easy burglary target.
Did you know that November is the month you are most likely to be burgled? During the winter period your home can be seen to be more vulnerable by an intruder, especially in the lead up to the Christmas Holidays when you are most likely to have unopened valuable items. According to a report by insurance provider LV= a break in occurs every two minutes in the month of November.
Making your home unappealing to a burglar is the key to preventing it from being burgled during the winter period and is one of the most effective forms of crime prevention.
Although the risk of burglary does differ according to the type of property and level of security that is already in place it is worth taking the necessary precautions in order to best protect yourself and your home from a break-in.
Now that winter is here National Locksmith Keytek® has put together ‘Winter Home Security Tips’ to help you best protect your home from a break-in, which can be found below…
- Make sure all doors are securely locked at all times.
- If you are not going to be home leave a light on or on a timer to give the illusion that your home is occupied. A TV or Radio is a good alternative to leaving a light on.
- Make sure all accessible windows are locked and have restrictors fitted for added security – intruders can wiggle through any gap that is larger than a human head.
- Have a burglar alarm fitted. Some alarm systems can end up costing as much as £2000, if this is something you can’t afford have a dummy alarm fitted for as little as £13.99 a fraction of the price but equally as effective in deterring a burglar.
- Lock all garages and sheds.
- Check the perimeter of your home for weak spots.
- Have motion sensing lights fitted to the outside of your home.
- Mark any valuables with a UV pen and register them on www.immobilise.com
- Keep your curtains or blinds closed at night.
- Don’t leave any valuables where they can be seen through the window by passersby on the street.
- Don’t share any holiday plans on Social Media.
- If you are going on a winter break leave a spare key with a trusted neighbour or relative so they can keep an eye on your home whilst you’re away.
- Call a local locksmith on 0800 035 0451 to book in a home security and home insurance compliance check.