Locksmith Prices and Cost Estimates 2019
The price you pay for a Locksmith can differ wildly from company to company, whether you require an emergency Locksmith or are moving home and need the locks changed. We aim to give you an overview of what you can expect to be charged when hiring a Locksmith. However until a Locksmith is at your door it is hard to estimate an exact price.
All prices are based on estimate from recent UK Locksmith jobs (updated Feb 2019) – These prices may not reflect the price you will pay and should be used as a rough guide. For a quote please call out team directly on 033 0332 0589.
What can Affect the Locksmith prices?
You may be charged more for a Locksmith if you require their services at an inconvenient time such as late at night. Most Locksmith prices will increase between the hours of 6pm to 8am. So don’t expect to be charged the same amount at 3am that you would do at 3pm.
Size of Job
Most Locksmith companies will charge by the hour, if you only require one lock to be changed then you can be pretty confident that the Locksmith will complete the job within an hour. However, if you have just moved house and need every single lock on the doors and windows in your house replaced, then you may need to budget for 2/3 hours. You may also need to consider if your doors or windows have standard or unusual locks. Most Locksmiths carry the standard locks in their vans, however if a part needs to be ordered in, the Locksmith will have to return to your property, meaning they will have to charge another hour of labour.
If you require locks to be replaced as part of the service, then you will be charged for the new parts as well as the labour. This is often the case with snapped locks and cylinders, or if a lock has been damaged beyond repair. The type of lock you need will be dependent on the type of door you have and what your insurance policy requires. This may stop you from getting the least expensive, basic lock. The parts cost may also increase if you have a digital or smart lock, as these are harder to fix and more expensive to replace.
How much does it Cost to Hire a Locksmith?
You may need your locks changed for a number of reasons, whether you’ve moved house and are concerned about security or you are unsure who may have a spare key. You may just want to upgrade the security of locks on your current property, and you may also want to make sure your locks are insurance compliant, you will need to change the locks after a break in, if they are damaged. If you are a landlord and a tenant leaves and does not return the key you may want to get them replaced.
|Locksmith Job Type||Estimated Price|
|Changing the locks at a new property||£350- Dependent on the amount of doors, windows and external locks at your property|
|Emergency Boarding Up||£200- depending on the amount of damage
|Replacing a Mortice lock.||Price per lock starts at around £45. Cost will be the price of the lock plus the labour charge|
|Changing a Euro Cylinder||Price per lock starts at around £45. Cost will be the price of the lock plus the labour charge|
Locksmith Price Factors
Lock Type and Brand
- Using a budget cylinder will mean the job total will be cheaper
- Picking a high security branded cylinder will definitely mean you are spending more money
- Euro Locks, Mortice Locks, Nightlatches and Security Bolts all have different costs, so depending on what type of lock you need, the price may vary.
Labour and Hours
- Depending on the size of the job, for example; how many locks you need changing, will factor in to the overall cost of the job.
- You will need to confirm whether the price you have been quoted is for the whole job, or changed by the hour.
Type of Job
- If all you need is the Locksmith to remove a broken key, then you will only have to pay for the labour. Meaning the job will be less expensive.
- However if you need multiple locks replaced, then this will take more labour hours and you will need to include the prices of multiple new locks.
Date and Time
- If you engage a Locksmith during work hours on a work day, then the price is likely to be lower than if you called them out late night on a weekend.
Prices of Locks
uPVC door locks
If your door is uPVC and just the cylinder needs replacing then it will be cheaper than changing the whole mechanism as this only needs to be done if there is a problem. An average Euro cylinder will cost around £45 and may vary depending on make/model and security standard.
Wooden door locks
If a night-latch, also known as a ‘Yale Lock’ is just being changed for security reasons, then only the cylinder will need to be changed which will keep the price down. If the whole night-latch needs to be changed (if you are upgrading the security) then this will cost a little more.
If your wooden door requires a mortice lock then these can start at around £45, you will have to add this to the labour cost that your Locksmith charges. British Standard locks are slightly more expensive but most likely to be insurance compliant, 3 lever is cheaper than a 5 lever mortice lock but a 3 leaver mortice lock is only really suitable for internal doors.
How to Reduce Locksmith Costs
If the work is a non-emergency then take your time to shop around for a Locksmith. Get multiple quotes and read reviews to find someone you can trust. You could consult a double glazing company, however the only option they will give you is to replace rather than fix.
You may be tempted to do the work yourself, however we do not advise this. You could invalidate your insurance policy if the work is not carried out by a professional. uPVC locks are all different and some may even be obsolete, so you would need to call a Locksmith to completely replace the part.
How Much to Change Locks at a New Property
When you move into a new property it is good practice to change all the locks. The average house will need the front door, back door, windows, garage and gate locks replaced. The Locksmith prices will vary on the type of locks you need, for example Mortice locks are more expensive to buy than a euro lock. Also depending on the size of your house and the amount of doors/windows you have, a Locksmith may need more than an hour to change all the locks. However an average cost you might be looking at is around £350. This is not an exact price and will differ from house to house and how much the Locksmith you choose charges per hour.
So, in summary, how much a Locksmith will cost for a new property will depend on the following factors.
- The type of locks that need replacing – some locks are more expensive than others
- How many doors you have in your property
- How many windows will require locks replacing
- The time it takes for replacement
- Remember, £350 is an average figure, the final cost differs from house to house
Emergency Locksmith Prices / Costs
You may find yourself in need of an ‘emergency’ Locksmith if you lock your keys in your house, have been burgled, or the key breaks in the lock. The Locksmith prices we quote here are a rough estimate to what you might pay. The total cost of an emergency Locksmith will be dependent on the nature of the emergency, the type of lock and why you need your locks replaced, as well as the area you live in and the time it will take to resolve the issue.
Type of Job
- Emergency jobs may take longer to complete depending on the nature of the situation
- An emergency job will cost less, if the locksmith is only required to open the door, rather than replacing the whole lock
- Lost keys or break in will mean your lock needs replacing. You will then have to factor in the cost of a new lock plus the Locksmith labour charge
Time and Date
- Unsociable hours will mean you will be charged more. For example 10 am on a Monday will be cheaper that 10pm on a Saturday.
- Bank Holidays will always mean a Locksmith is more expensive. Locking yourself out on Christmas day will be more expensive than a normal weekday.
Call out Charges
- If a Locksmith charges you a call out fee, then you will have to pay regardless of whether he manages to fix your problem
- Keytek® don’t charge a call out fee. But when using a private Locksmith, it’s always best to double check if they will charge you a call out fee and how much that will be.
The average cost of calling out an emergency Locksmith would be around £89 for the labour, plus any parts required plus VAT. Most respectable Locksmiths will not have a call out charge and will just charge you for the labour and parts. This is just an estimate, and until the Locksmith is actually stood at your door and can see the problem then the price can vary from this. Here at Keytek® we are proud to be able to offer a 30 minute response time, other emergency Locksmiths should be able to offer a similar time frame. However as you are engaging an ‘emergency service’ you can expect to pay a little more for such a quick response, this however is not the case at Keytek®, we charge the same whether we are with you in 30 minutes or a time of your choice.
Emergency Boarding Up
If you have been broken into and doors and window are damaged beyond repair, you can get an emergency boarding up service. To secure your house after a break-in will incur extra cost, as not only will you have to board up your door and windows, you will have to replace them as well. For emergency boarding up you are looking at a rough cost of £200, however this all depends on the amount you need boarding up, what time of day it is and how much your Locksmith of choice will charge you. This sort of job normally runs over an hour, as Locksmiths generally will not carry the material needed to board up, so you should budget for a couple of hours of labour charge.
Locksmith Cost Questions Answered
1. What Additional Fees might be added to a Quote?
If there are unforeseen requirements for your new locks, or obscure parts that need to be ordered then you might be charged extra for the Locksmith to return and install them once they have arrived. Locksmiths generally carry the most common parts in their vans, but anything specialist will have to be ordered.
2. How Long does it take to Change a Lock on a Door?
The time it takes to change your lock is dependent on the type of door you have and the type of lock you require. However, if your door has a standard euro or mortice lock then generally it should not take more than an hour. This may change however if once the Locksmith arrive at the job and feels there are more issues that need correcting.
3. Prices to Unlock House and Open Door
Again it is hard to accurately assess how much it will cost you to get your house unlocked, as it will depend on a number of factors; how you are locked out of your house i.e keys locked inside or key snapped in the door. What type of door you have can affect the price, or if the lock is damaged and needs repairing or even replacing if it cannot be fixed. If your lock is broken to gain entry then you will have to spend money on getting a new lock and having it installed. Which? Have set a the guide pricing at;
|Job Type||Price Estimate|
|Labour to remove a broken key without replacing the cylinder||£80-£100|
|Replace an anti-snap Euro-Profile cylinder in a uPVC door||£125-£170|
|Replace a budget Euro-Profile cylinder in a uPVC door||£100-£150|
|Lost keys – open one standard mortice lock and one standard rim lock||£90-£130|
4. How Much to Change Locks?
We hope that we’ve covered everything about how much to change locks but if you have any further questions don’t hesitate to contact us, we’d be more than happy to help you out!
This however should only be used as a rough guide. For a better idea on price then please call the Keytek® team on 0808 164 2928.