With all contracts including home insurance policies, it is vital to always read the small print in order to avoid overlooking the finer details and accidentally invalidating your policy. Knowing what you are and are not covered for should be one of the initial questions you ask when purchasing home insurance, but if you are unsure we have collated a list of examples that could invalidate your policy.
- Your claim may be invalidated if you expose yourself to theft by leaving your windows open or unlocked when locks are fitted.
- Your payout could be reduced or refused if you inaccurately describe the locks on your policy.
- If a burglar is able to gain entry into your home without force, your insurer could reduce or refuse paying out on your full claim.
- If you have installed a burglar alarm but do not activate it when leaving the house vacant, your insurer could reduce or refuse to pay out.
- Failing to secure tools that can be used to break into your house (ladders, wrenches etc.) could invalidate your policy.
- Your claim will be rejected if you do not secure valuables that are not covered by your policy, such as barbeques and lawnmowers. Confirm what is insured for use in the garden and extend your cover to include valuables that are expected to be kept outside.
- Your insurer could refuse your claim or pay a reduced amount if you fail to notify builders are on site and accidental damages occur.
- Your policy could be invalidated if you fail to declare to your insurer that you use your home as a place of business, as a consequence increasing the risk of theft and other claims.
- Your claim may be refused if it is made during a period of time when the house is vacant for over 30 consecutive days.
- Damage caused by unwelcome residents such as rats or mice may not be covered by your home insurance policy.
Security is a vital component for home insurance providers as it helps determine how likely you are to make a claim. For this reason, increasing your security features and being cautious often results in lower premiums. KeytekTM Locksmiths offer customers a full home security and insurance compliance check as a part of their service and are able to recommend products that are compliant with your home insurance requirements. Give KeytekTM Locksmiths a call on 03303320589 or visit keytek.co.uk/