Our last security blog looked into a recent report by the Daily Mail that November is the month you are most likely to be burgled, this study also revealed frightening statistics such as during the month of November a home in the UK is burgled every two minutes (figures provided by LV=Home Insurance).
Further to this, insurance provider RIAS have recently released figures that reveal the UK’s most burgled cities and towns. The figures as published in the Independent have indicated that the most burgled cities in Britain include Bradford, London, Manchester and Leeds with the average claim from a burglary costing £2,433. These figures also revealed that November (10 percent increase) and December (25 percent increase in first week) 2012 saw the highest increase in burglaries.
- 5 bedroom houses are 3 times more likely to be burgled over that of 1 bedroom houses (RIAS).
- The risk of burglary is twice as high in urban areas than in rural areas (Tesco Compare).
- 56% of burglaries occur at night (Tesco Compare).
- The reported most desirable items for a burglar to steal included jewellery, cash and laptops (RIAS).
- Over 85% of burglaries are committed by men (Tesco Compare).
For more interesting facts take a look at this infographic from Tesco Compare
Britain’s ten most burgled cities and towns
- Milton Keynes
So don’t get caught out this Christmas and watch our home security tips videos…
As part of our security advice we also recommend that you either join or start a Neighbourhood Watch scheme.
Neighbourhood Watch works to bring neighbours together who want to look out for each other, creating strong, friendly, active communities where crime and antisocial behaviour are less likely to happen.
To find your local Neighbourhood Watch, or for information on how to start a Neighbourhood Watch scheme, please visit https://www.ourwatch.org.uk/